Sunday, February 21, 2010

Chapter II: The Journey Continues (Part Three)

“Your Highness!” Sun Ping greeted enthusiastically when Hsin-Yu returned to the room.


“How many times do I need to repeat myself? Please address me as ‘Young Master’ when we’re not in the palace.” Hsin-Yu chided his servant.

“But there is no one else around now.” Sun Ping pointed out carefully.

“Speaking of which, how is Master Yang?” Hsin-Yu enquired suddenly, changing the topic.

“He is in safe hands. I had Ho Wen and Ye Bin to take care of him, your Highness, no, I mean, Young Master, need not worry.” Sun Ping assured.

“Fair enough. Anyway, please take care of the arrangements. I intend to leave this place tomorrow morning.” Hsin-Yu instructed, as he placed his weapon on the round table in the middle of the room, and slowly unbuttoning his tunic. After a good morning exercise, he felt warm and longed for a nice cool bath.

“So soon?” Sun Ping asked again uncertainly.

“We have been here for days – about time we head back to the capital, before my mother start to whine again.” Hsin-Yu shrugged, before adding, “Not to mention that with the Empress Dowager’s Birthday Banquet coming up very soon, they would certainly expect me to be around, even though I doubt her Majesty cared. Anyway, if Master Yang wished to remain here longer, just help him make any necessary reservations so he wouldn’t be stranded without an inn to stay in.”

“Young Master, you barely knew that An-Chih guy! Why are you being so exceedingly helpful?” Sun Ping pointed out; for he truly believe it is better not to be too meddlesome.

“Doesn’t hurt to do him a little favor, does it?” Hsin-Yu smiled mischievously. “Besides, he seemed like an honest sort – perhaps he might even feel indebted towards me after this. It never hurts to gain one more friend does it?”

“So that is the reason…” Sun Ping whispered, though in his mind he had doubts. “More likely he was just being extremely kind towards this young man simply because he resembled that guy physically…”

“Right, simple as that, what other reason can there be?” Hsin-Yu insisted, as he approached the bathroom. “Good, you have everything prepared.” Hsin-Yu commented when he noticed the large bathtub filled with water, bottles of fragrance aligned on the dresser.

“Of course – since when have I ever been inefficient?” Sun Ping beamed with pride. Approaching Hsin-Yu he motioned to help his master removed his garments. “Allow me, young master.”

On the shores of Silver Lake were several small boats available for hiring. As it is, there were six passengers in the small boat for the one Yang Hsu-Wen had boarded. Right in the middle of the boat stood one man, holding the oar and maneuvering the direction as they cruised along the famed Silver Lake, to which the town was named after. Yang Hsu-Wen sat on the front end, together with Tamara and Keli, and the backend was occupied by a family of three, a middle-aged couple, with their daughter approximately twelve years of age.

“Say, Master Yang, are you married?” Tamara asked suddenly, and all of a sudden Keli began to understand her teacher’s purpose. It was not the first time that her teacher had subtly hinted to her that she was old enough to get married and settle down. Keli swallowed when she heard this question, her mind inwardly protesting, “Teacher, you don’t have to be so blatant!”

“No.” Yang Hsu-Wen’s answer seemingly pleased Tamara, for she cheerfully inquired again,

“Then, are you engaged?”

“No, Madam. At present I am concentrating on establishing a career. I supposed when that is settled I might consider getting tied down.” Yang Hsu-Wen smiled, not suspecting Tamara’s intention at all.

“Teacher!” Keli interrupted suddenly, fearing for the worst where this conversation might lead to.

“What is it, my dear?” Tamara turned to her apprentice for the first time.

“Erm…” Keli flustered, for she was anxiously ransacking her mind for something to say, before pointing to a pair of mandarin ducks swimming in the lake. For lack of a better excuse she exclaimed, “See that? Don’t you think they are very pretty?”

“Sure they are.” Tamara laughed gaily. “Do you know what these are called?”

“Erm, they are ducks, aren’t they?” Keli suggested uncertainly, not because she could not recognize ducks, but because she was unsure what her teacher was thinking.

“Oh, mandarin ducks! It’s always nice to see them around.” Yang Hsu-Wen chipped in, naturally unaware of either Tamara’s intentions or Keli’s increasing uneasiness. “As the books would always say, mandarin ducks are to be envied. They usually stayed with their one chosen mate, and stayed together always.”

“Similarly, it also reminded us that when one is of age, it is also about time to find one’s significant other, just like the mandarin ducks. How interesting it is that you brought it up all of the sudden.” Tamara winked at her apprentice.

“Oh no, what a klutz I have been, to bring the wrong topic up!” Keli mentally chided herself, and before she realized what is happening she next heard Tamara asking Yang Hsu-Wen another ‘invasive’ question.

“What sort of girl appeals to you?”

Yang Hsu-Wen considered the question carefully and finally replied, “Well, ideally, I would like a pretty and virtuous wife, someone who can get along with my family, pious also. But truth to speak, I really leave it to fate, as marriage is a match made in heaven. If it is my destiny to marry a woman less than ideal, it is also my lot. I just hope heavens would be kinder to me.”

“Will you consider a foreign girl? As in, someone not of Empire origins, say perhaps a Northerner?” Tamara continued on the topic, to which Keli went into a fit of coughs. “Eek! Now she sounded like trying to advertise me! I wish there is a hole for me to hide, this is so embarrassing, and I bet Master Yang would think I am desperate to get married or something.”

“Teacher, I think we shouldn’t trouble Master Yang any further.” Keli prompted, tugging at Tamara’s sleeves. Although she do not think poorly of Yang Hsu-Wen, but Keli had often held the idea that marriage must only take place between two persons in love with each other, just like her parents were. She also knew deep down, this young scholar before her do not stir her interest in that direction. “Even though they were long gone – Nana had said that there is one special person for every other person, and in life, our purpose is to seek that other half. She said I would know him when I see him – but I had met so many people in my line of work, and I still do not know? Could it be possible that I have already missed him, or my time has not yet come?”

“Not to worry, Miss Keli, I am not the least troubled.” Yang Hsu-Wen smiled brightly. “I guess Madam Tamara’s questions were rather refreshing. They were questions that I have never truly given a serious thought to before. But just to answer her last question. I suppose if that is the will of heaven, the heritage of my spouse should not be an issue, though marriages are usually arranged by parents, I don’t see the possibility of them deliberately arranged any girl outside of An-Chih province. After all my parents are more comfortable speaking in our native dialect than the official language of the Empire. A foreign girl might have language problems.”

“Is that a subtle rejection?” Keli wondered to herself, and her already rosy cheeks flushed even deeper.

“I see.” Tamara nodded, realizing that Yang Hsu-Wen was totally clueless of her intentions and from his answers; she had deemed him not the most ideal man for her apprentice after all.

It was awhile later that the boat had rolled back to shore, and the passengers alighted. As Yang Hsu-Wen parted ways with his companions, he was approached by the family of three whom had set in the same boat as them.

“Are you from An-Chih?” The father asked. He is fat and short, and wore an expensive fabric, suggesting him to be a fairly rich person.

“Yes, you too?” Yang Hsu-Wen nodded, and wondered if he had met someone from the same hometown.

“Well no, but my wife is from An-Chih province, and when we heard you talking earlier, she felt nostalgic listening to your accent, and our suspicions were confirmed when you mentioned An-Chih yourself earlier on. In any case, please forgive us for eavesdropping.” The man replied, as his wife stood beside him on the right, and their daughter on the left.

Delighted, Yang Hsu-Wen greeted the woman in the An-Chih dialect, and was more thrilled to hear her responding with the same dialect. “Where are you from, then?” He asked the man.

“Silver Lake. I’m a merchant based here – and the reason why I am coming to this place is that my daughter wanted to come so badly.”

“This adorable little girl?” Yang Hsu-Wen smiled at the daughter, to which the girl smiled brightly in return.

“Ah yes, that’s my daughter, Wan-Ying, and my name is Shen Nien.” The man introduced himself. “My textile shop – “Shen Fabrics”, is not far from here. Since you are from the same hometown as my wife, I’ll give you a special price if you want to get anything. I have one of the best materials in Silver Lake, my clients are amongst the most influential, and I can even recommend a few of the most skilful tailors in Silver Lake, should you need to make any new clothing.”

“Thank you, I’ll keep that in mind, though I’m on my way to the capital, and wouldn’t be staying long in Silver Lake.” Yang Hsu-Wen smiled shyly.

“Really! Our family is heading to the capital tomorrow morning too. I have set up a branch in the capital recently, and I intend to get there on the opening day ceremony. If you’re going to be in the capital for a while you can consider visiting our capital branch, and I am sure to give you a special price!” Shen Nien encouraged enthusiastically.

“A true merchant indeed; for he never wasted any opportunity to make business.” Yang Hsu-Wen thought to himself, remembering that his own father was similar in this aspect.

“Thank you very much for your kind offer. Where is this shop located? Perhaps I might visit it when I reached the capital.” Yang Hsu-Wen inquired out of courtesy.

“It’s very near the town square, and easy to locate. Just asked for “Shen Fabrics” when you get there, and I’m sure you can find the place.” Shen Nien gave a hearty laugh, patting Yang Hsu-Wen on the back. “I shall be waiting for you in the capital, young man, and good luck for your examinations.”

“Eh? How did you know?” Yang Hsu-Wen exclaimed, surprised at Shen Nien’s remark.

“Why wouldn’t I? It’s the time of the year, and what else would a young scholar all the way from An-Chih got to do with the capital, apart from taking the Imperial Examinations, held only once in three years?” Shen Nien pointed out the obvious.

“Oh.” Yang Hsu-Wen nodded in hindsight. “Alright then, I shall return to the inn, see you in the capital.”

“Till then, my young friend.” Shen Nien replied, before turning back to his wife and daughter, heading towards the opposite direction of Yang Hsu-Wen.

“Everyone in Silver Lake is so friendly!” Yang Hsu-Wen smiled to himself happily as he thought to return to the inn to thank Hsin-Yu properly for his kind hospitality.

[End of Chapter II]

No comments:

Post a Comment