Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Chapter II: The Journey Continues (Part Two)

Meanwhile, Yang Hsu-Wen watched on the whole exchange, all the more curious about this youth. If he thought the swift movements of Hsin-Yu impressive, he was all the more shaken by the two bodyguards, who seemed to appear out of nowhere. He rubbed his eyes, wondering just where these two bodyguards came from, even as he understood from the effeminate servant that Yuen Hsin-Yu was protected by them, it was still an eye-opener. “I wonder if it is a common practice for the affluent people of the capital to hire bodyguards?”


“Master Yang?” Another servant entered the room, and greeted Yang Hsu-Wen. Although dressed very much like Sun Ping and the effeminate servant from earlier, this was another person. In his arm was a bundle, whom Yang Hsu-Wen recognized, were his clothes. “That’s right, the fellow from earlier said there were three of them…”

“Good morning.” Yang Hsu-Wen put on a smile and greeted the servant, to what he hoped, was a pleasant greeting, despite the horrible feeling he was getting from the alcohol.

“Good morning, Master Yang.” The servant replied in a respectful voice, as he handled the bundle in his arms, to Yang Hsu-Wen, instructing, “If you’re feeling better, perhaps you might like to go down and have your breakfast. Your clothes are cleaned, so you may change into them.”

“Thank you very much!” Yang Hsu-Wen answered gratefully. “But, how much do that cost?”

“Young Master has already made arrangements for that, so you do not have to worry about the payments.” The servant informed.

“This must have been a blessing in disguise! I arrived in Silver Lake with a budget problem but instead met with a rich and generous friend who would take care of my expenditures. Thank heaven for watching out for me!” Yang Hsu-Wen thought to himself, before saying, “Please help me thank your Young Master, for his kind generosity towards me.”

“I reckon Young Master must be having his breakfast right now, you may do so yourself when you join him later.” The servant informed, giving Yang Hsu-Wen a slight bow before exiting the room.

“My dear girl! Are you sure you can finish all these?” Tamara looked at the spread of dishes before the table. The breakfast was buffet-styled, and the guests of Silver Lake Inn may help themselves to the food served. Keli who had never seen such a spread of fine delicacies was eager to try every food available.

“Erm, they all looked so delicious, I just couldn’t help myself.” Keli grinned sheepishly; inwardly guilty since she somewhat suspect she might not be able to finish all the food that she had taken. There were an assortment of cakes, and some were even made to look like little bunnies, even though they were possibly made out of flour.

“Do remember that there are those poor people that had gone through lives never seeing that much food before them, so make sure you do not waste any of it.” Tamara chided.

“Sorry…I couldn’t resist.” Keli felt worse even though she was only slightly reprimanded. Her actions were not deliberate, and she felt guilty now for being so greedy, and she wondered how she could have finish all the food before her, and it was just at this point she noticed a familiar face approaching, and recognized him to be the young scholar from the day before, whose room was taken by them. She smiled slightly at this Yang Hsu-Wen, secretly hoping he might join their table, and help them finish the excess food.

Yang Hsu-Wen was looking around for Hsin-Yu but instead spotted Keli and Tamara. Responding to her smile he nodded at her, and approached their table. “Good morning, ladies.”

“Good morning. Are you looking for a seat perhaps? Would you like to join us?” Keli suggested quickly.

“Thank you.” Yang Hsu-Wen pulled a seat and sat himself before the two ladies. “Oh well, I suppose I shall have my breakfast first before thanking Master Yuen when I see him later.”

“You are the young scholar from yesterday, am I right? How do I address you?” Tamara turned to Yang Hsu-Wen with a smile.

“That’s right.” Yang Hsu-Wen replied with a shy smile. “My name is Yang Hsu-Wen, from the province of An-Chih. How may I address you ladies?”
“My name is Tamara, and this is my apprentice, Keli.” Tamara replied, paying close attention to Yang Hsu-Wen.

“You managed to get yourself a room after all.” Keli remarked, and immediately shoved some of the plates towards Yang Hsu-Wen. “There, would you like to have some?”

“Thank you.” Yang Hsu-Wen thought the Northern girl was pretty friendly, and picking up the pair of unused chopsticks he helped himself to the dish that Keli had offered. “Actually I met a friend here so he offered me a room. I guess I’m quite in luck, thank heavens.”

“Are you here on a vacation?” Tamara asked again, taking a sip of the jasmine tea. After that she took an unused cup and rinsed it with some tea, before pouring more of the tea into this rinsed cup, and offered it to Yang Hsu-Wen.

“Yes and no. Actually I’m on my way to the capital.” Yang Hsu-Wen accepted the cup of tea gingerly.

“Really! So are we!” Keli smiled happily. “When will you be leaving for the capital?”

“Well, I’d not decided on that yet. I initially planned to stay in Silver Lake for a few days, but I might shorten the day due to budget constrain. After all I still need to set aside a sum for the registration of the Imperial Examinations.” Yang Hsu-Wen explained, suddenly wondering about Hsin-Yu’s plans. “He is from the capital isn’t it? Perhaps I can travel with him; at least I would have some company during the travels.”

“Imperial Examinations? Well good luck to you. Who knows, I might be talking to a future court official.” Keli suggested, pushing more of the dishes which she cannot finish, in the direction of Yang Hsu-Wen, who cooperatively finishes them systematically.

“I hope so? It has been my dreams to become a court official, even though my father was quite against it.” Yang Hsu-Wen sighed.

“Why is he so against it? I thought it would be quite an honor for the family to have produced a court official?” Keli wondered aloud.

“If only he would think that way.” Yang Hsu-Wen shrugged. “My father is a businessman, and he strongly preferred that I take over his business. He also thinks lowly of the courtiers, considering them as corrupt and unreliable. Naturally the idea that his son would become one of them saddens him.”

“If that is the case, why are you going against his wishes?” Tamara posed her question.

“I do not agree with his views. If there are truly that many corrupt officials, then it is time that we need to have those who aren’t corrupt, to break this vicious cycle. There are still many people suffering in silence, and a court official’s contribution may sometimes relieve their suffering.” Yang Hsu-Wen argued hopefully.

“You have very noble aspirations, young man.” Tamara observed with a smile. “It is really good to know. There are far too many people who only cared for themselves, and it truly warmed me to know that there are people like you who strived to make the Empire a better place to live in.”

“Erm…well it’s just a thought.” Yang Hsu-Wen felt a little embarrassed by Tamara’s praises, and blushed. Changing the subject he asked again, “You two are physicians?”

“Well, technically only my teacher can be considered a full-fledged physician. I’m only the apprentice.” Keli was quick to correct Yang Hsu-Wen’s assumptions.

“So, where are you from? Are you in Silver Lake for business or just touring?” Yang Hsu-Wen asked again, helping himself to the food before him. “These tastes pretty good.”

“We are wandering physicians, so I guess we have no fix home. I am originally from the South, though I came to the Empire with my father when I was a child. My apprentice here was from one of the nomadic tribes of the North. However all her tribesmen perished in a plague some ten years ago, and she was the only survivor, and hence joined me in this trade. Our actual intension is to go to the capital, and out route passes Silver Lake. It’s a pretty place after all, and we intend to tour the lake after breakfast.” Tamara explained, for it would be easy to get a tour of the lake given the strategic location of their inn. “Would you like to join us?”

“Eh?” Yang Hsu-Wen was quite taken aback by the hospitality of the two ladies, for never did he expect that since arriving Silver Lake, all he met were kind and helpful people.

Keli was equally surprised by Tamara’s suggestion, for she merely invited Yang Hsu-Wen so that her table of food would not go to waste. “Teacher seemed to like this young scholar quite a bit eh?”

[to be continued...]

No comments:

Post a Comment